Saturday, October 17, 2009

My Labor Story <3

I have to start off with the fact that labor was nothing that I expected. I had expected it to be a lot worse than it was, and though I think I won't be doing it again for a very long time, I know that it was totally worth it and I wouldn't change a thing about it.

My last doctors appointment was at 9:45 AM Tuesday, October 13th. It was pretty much the same as it had been. The doctor said that this baby was ready to come out! The sad part about it though, was the fact that he had slapped a 48 hour eviction notice on my uterus and told me that if he wasn't here by the 16th, I was going to be induced. Sad news for me, but I naturally just took his word that it would be for the best. But there was something about the cervix check this week. It HURT when he checked my cervix. I was really uncomfortable for the first time and I didn't really understand it.

Well, I went home and sat on some pain throughout the whole day until about around 6 PM-ish. It was around then that I just didn't feel right with the pain and told my parents that I thought it was time to head off to labor and delivery. When I got there, I had a sad feeling through. I was almost positive that they were going to tell me to just go home and sleep it off, that he wasn't coming that night and that I had to wait it out. Well, I was WRONG! I wasn't in triage but 20 minuets and they transferred me to a labor room. I was 4 CM dilated and I was in it for the long run now!

I had planned on not having an epidural when I gave birth to my son. It was just something that I wanted to do, and the nurses all thought I was crazy! I was the only one on the ward that night that said that she didn't want one and begged them not to offer it once the going got tough. But for a few hours I stuck it out and I was doing just fine. I had my parents there, and my best friend Katie. All of which were really helpful with everything. Everyone was making sure I was doing my breathing and that when the pain came around I handled it as best I could.

Around one or two AM, though, I had gotten really tired but there was no way I was going to get to sleep. I was dilated to a six, and boy was I having trouble with the breathing thing. The nurse had said she could give me something to "take the edge off" and give me a couple hours worth of sleep. She said I was going to need it, and my mom was backing her up one hundred percent. (And since my mom had done the natural childbirth thing 5 times, I took her word for it.) Though I quickly learned that was a mistake because when I woke up after two hours of sleep, the pain was worse and I hadn't dilated at all. A crushing blow to me.

I stayed at 5-6 for a good three hours before anything happened. Then I had asked to get up and walk around. I couldn't handle laying in the bed anymore. It was just too painful. So I went for a little walk, and when I came back we did a cervix check and I was dilated to a 7! And when my nurse did my cervix check, my water broke and it was downhill from there. Once my water had broke my contractions were one right on top of the other. I was screaming out in pain, and begging everyone around me to make it stop. I didn't want to be there anymore, I just wanted to quit. But my parents were troopers and didn't let me.

Though I won't lie, I caved and I asked for the epidural. I begged for it! I didn't want to feel the pain anymore, and I was exhausted as it was. The nurse told me she could have it up and running within half and hour to forty-five minuets and I told her that was fine. I could stick it out for one more hour! Though I started to get mad at myself, because I knew that I would get that epidural and then only be in labor for two more hours... Well my son made the choice for me. He was coming drug free, and there was nothing that was gonna stop him.

Before I knew it was I was dilated to nine and I needed to push. I was begging for them to let me push and we got the ball rolling then! The doctor wasn't there yet, but I knew what my body wanted to do and we needed to get it done. So I pushed for about an hour, and my sons head did NOT want to come under that bone. He didn't want to move. So, I got up on my feet and for about five to six contractions I did squats and rocked side to side on my feet which was really helpful because he moved on down. He was coming!

And after about another hour of pushing, screaming, and wanting for it all to be over with it was the final countdown! The doctor had showed up right on time, and told me that there was a good chance I would tear. I told him to just do whatever he needed, I wanted that baby out and I wanted him out now! So once the episiotomy was said and done with I only had to push for about 10 more minuets and my little boy was here! Sadly, he didn't come out screaming. There had been problems with dips in his heartbeat through out the last half of the labor process and come to find out it was because the chord was wrapped around his neck twice. I waited to hear the screams of a healthy baby and when I didn't I started crying...

Though the doctor got him all fixed up and before long his cried filled the entire labor room. He was here, and I couldn't think of anything other than the fact that I had given birth to my son. The little boy I had waited 9 months of pregnancy, and 19 hours of labor to meet was finally here. It was the greatest feeling in the world.

So :) At 12:18 PM October 14th, 2009 I welcomed the 7lb 8oz baby boy I named Connor William Bishop into the world. He's my everything, and I wouldn't change a single thing about that day. It was the best day of my life <3

1 comment:

  1. Thank you, for scaring the CRAP outa me! You seem so tough, and I am NOT! I think I am screwed. lol...jk! I am so happy for you and your lil man! I hope I can meet him soon!

    ReplyDelete